OnlyWire

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Attending "Senior Hour" At the Local Grocery Store #HyVee on St. Clair and Barry

No, Senior Hour isn't like Happy Hour.  Senior Hour is 7-8 AM when one of our local grocery stores has selected just for seniors to shop for groceries.

Yesterday we participated because we needed some staples. 

I have to give it to the local #Hy-Vee off St. Clair and Barry Rd. #HelpfulSmileStrong  They had a security guard at the front door.  A smiling, nice jovial guy.  Which was a pleasant surprise.  And EVERYONE was working in the stores...the managers, the stockers, the checkers.. everyone!  Just trying to make sure that the customers had what they needed or could find it.  Yes, we were able to get toilet paper and paper towels. I didn't notice if there was a limit, we aren't the hoarder types.

When we pulled into the parking lot at 7:02 AM, I couldn't believe that the parking lot was full up to the street.  We were already wearing our gloves and I had on my face protection.  Not looking very becoming, but I didn't really care.


Really ~hot~ huh? LOL
What absolutely amazed me were the shoppers... and not a good amazed.  They were about 95% elderly, well over my age (LOL).  But I would say I saw perhaps 5 people out of hundreds wearing any gloves.  Those gloves, by the way, are still easily available. I saw even less wearing ANY TYPE of FACE PROTECTION.  I can say I'm glad I did.

I thought maybe I was the weirdo here until I ran into a Dr. and his wife that I know, wearing the same protective get-up.  We looked at each other and I held up my hands and said to the wife, "WHY IS IT ONLY US?" She shook her head and said, "I don't know!"  

It truly made me want to go home, get on Amazon, order a case of gloves and stand in front of the store and hand them out to each person entering.

It took us almost an hour to muddle through the aisles amidst the other folks.  Then we packed it all in the car and came home.

We have totally new rules in the house..... NOTHING is brought in without being sprayed down with #Lysol or wiped completely with #Clorox wipes.  Call us crazy, but we're taking this really seriously.  It took me longer to wipe each single item from the grocery store down and put it away than it did for us to shop for them.  I don't care, we're doing our part to stay safe.

I've even talked "Mr. I'm Not Worried" into wearing gloves. So when Mr. Positivity conforms you know it's serious. 

I'm still thinking about and worried about my family and friends.  I talked to a friend yesterday that the store he worked for was closing.  Instead of keeping the workers jobs for them when they opened back up they fired everyone and will not pay them their accrued vacation pay.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  #Savers 
is the company (on Barry Rd.) and I think this is atrocious of them to do this at a time when we are all worried about the future.  Closing down is understandable, but pay the people what they have coming.  I'll never go to that store again.

Read a book today, call a friend, Facetime with family.  Try to do something to keep your mind off the situation. We're all in this together

#saversscrewsemployeesoutofaccruedvacation #covid19 #pandemicinamerica #coronavirus #savers #hyvee 






No comments:

Post a Comment